I find myself struggling with this concept often, especially as a parent. The trouble is, once you are focused on "there" you forget what is happening right "here". Right in front of my eyes, my children are growing and changing, the seasons are cycling in and out, and I myself am transforming. I think my children are what has brought me into the present moment. For instance, when I am telling my toddler to please not launch his sister from her bouncy seat by pulling it back like a slingshot for the umpteenth time, it takes mindfulness to not let anger or judgement get in the way. I guess the kids are my best teachers.
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
The title of my blog may lead you to believe that I am an eternal optimist. Although I would love to be that uncomplicated, the truth is I am not. That is why I had to add the phrase "are we there yet?" It is kind of how I am feeling right now. Are we ever "there"? We humans (especially mothers lumbering forward on 3 hours if sleep) tend to think that if we can get "there", to our next big goal (to nap time or dinner time or bed time) we will be happy. The truth is, like the breadcrumbs left by Hansel and Gretel, once you pick up one breadcrumb you find another a few steps away. Thus, our "there" will end up being a jumping off point for another "there", another goal, another what if.
I find myself struggling with this concept often, especially as a parent. The trouble is, once you are focused on "there" you forget what is happening right "here". Right in front of my eyes, my children are growing and changing, the seasons are cycling in and out, and I myself am transforming. I think my children are what has brought me into the present moment. For instance, when I am telling my toddler to please not launch his sister from her bouncy seat by pulling it back like a slingshot for the umpteenth time, it takes mindfulness to not let anger or judgement get in the way. I guess the kids are my best teachers.
I remember the good old days of waking up late and wandering around the city aimlessly with no one needing me for anything. While I would love to be able to do that again, I can't help but love the person I have become and the two little people my husband and I have created! I love the relationships that I have found in this stage of my life. I love that my son has friends that he plays with while us moms chat, laugh, and eat. So I guess I don't have to worry about the "there" part anymore. Because as long as I am fully "here" in this moment, "there" just doesn't seem that important.
I find myself struggling with this concept often, especially as a parent. The trouble is, once you are focused on "there" you forget what is happening right "here". Right in front of my eyes, my children are growing and changing, the seasons are cycling in and out, and I myself am transforming. I think my children are what has brought me into the present moment. For instance, when I am telling my toddler to please not launch his sister from her bouncy seat by pulling it back like a slingshot for the umpteenth time, it takes mindfulness to not let anger or judgement get in the way. I guess the kids are my best teachers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment