Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day

So my Mother's Day weekend didn't start off so great.  On Thursday evening I came down with mastitis, a.k.a. a painful breast infection. I had two and a half days of high fevers, chills, aches, and really painful nursing sessions.  But alas, my fever broke on Saturday night and by Sunday I felt like a new woman...who had just been hit by a truck....well maybe a small SUV.  I am still recovering but being so sick really changed my perspective.

A wise woman I know spoke a few weeks ago about acceptance.  We can accept the situation we are in and make the best of it or we can always head down the negative pathway.  We totally have a choice in the matter and if you have a strong enough awareness you can make a change.  I could have said that this weekend sucked because I had been bed ridden for most of it, looking longingly out the sunny window while my head felt like it was going to explode any second into a fiery meteor.  And when Caroline was nursing I really really wanted to cry because the pain was incredible.  And I had plans to go places and do things!

Instead, I took the positive path.  I nurtured myself and nourished myself.  I ate healing foods.  I got to lay in bed and cuddle with my babies.  I also got to start a book that I have been wanting to read for a while and watched a documentary called "Dying to Have Known" about the Gerson Natural Cancer Therapy.  And on Mother's Day, I felt well enough to bake this amazing grain free Blueberry Breakfast Crumble with Vance in the kitchen.  I also got to relax, take an epsom salt bath and do some restorative yoga.  Basically, my body forced me to make this weekend all about me.  No laundry, no dishes, no diapers.  Just healing.

The mastitis was another blessing in disguise because it showed me that I am not taking care of myself enough.  With two kids to tend to, it is easy to forget that I am a breastfeeding mother who needs ample fluids, rest, and vitamins.  I thought I was doing a good job but obviously my body is upping the standards.  And I intend to meet them.  Happy Mother's Day to all of you beautiful mommas out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment