My love for coconut started innocently enough, with Almond Joys, Samoas, Piña Coladas...now that my tastes have evolved away from the world of processed foods, I have found about a MILLION more ways to enjoy the food I so cherish. Baked goods? Check. Cooking oil? Check. Skin care? Check. TOOTH POLISH? Check. The Internet is a Pandora's box of ideas for coconut, especially coconut oil.
Apparently, this wonderful food was given a bad image back in the eighties when everyone thought that fat free meant healthy. Now we know better, right? Now we know that eating fat doesn't MAKE you fat, but if you consume the RIGHT fats it actually makes you THIN. It is also a vital nutrient that your body needs for energy and proper brain function.
I have been knee deep in the world of the Real Food movement lately (more about that later). It is amazing. And I have been learning a lot about cooking with this amazing oil. Vance and I have even started eating it in our morning bowl of oatmeal instead of butter (although that is good for you too). It adds an awesome flavor and some extra fat that we need to make it to lunchtime. An added bonus, it can help to keep your teeth healthy and it promotes cardiovascular health! Below are some links for my fellow coconut lovers. Jump on the bandwagon with me! Enjoy!
http://thecoconutmama.com/
Everything you ever wanted to know about coconut oil
The Nourished Kitchen. This is an amazing blog with wonderful Real Food recipes! This link will take you to her explanation of cooking with coconut flour!
No comments:
Post a Comment