Friday, February 1, 2013

A good day and a good recipe.

Things aligned in my universe yesterday and Vance woke up in a happy mood (even if it was at 5:30 am). My two month old slept until 8 am.  My toddler played quietly during this time while I made some yummy steel cut oats followed by an even yummier spinach smoothie, got dressed, started laundry, cleaned up breakfast, and had a cup of tea.  I might as well have run a marathon and fed one million starving children.  It made me feel like I had a damn fabulous start to the day.

Let me rub it in some more....Vance was occupied at school that morning and I got to relax with a friend and our babies.  My toddler was compliant and even though he ended the day with a temperature/cold and a chiropractor appointment in which he actually laid on the table, I didn't have to raise my voice to him once.  Last night I felt peaceful and energized.  But having such a great day has me thinking (damn thoughts ruining my aaah moment).....

The past few weeks with my son have been really hard.  He is still trying to adjust to life with a little sister and he has been trying to get attention any way he can.  Sometimes I find myself nagging at him so much that the word "no" loses its authority.  I often have feelings of frustration towards him that turn into feelings of dislike for a fleeting moment.  I find that his behavior really impacts my mood for the whole day, which is even more apparent when I have a bad day followed by a good one.    I don't know if other parents feel the same way, but a child's behavior and their mother's mood are intertwined in a vicious cycle of passion.

I have noticed that my good days seem to be the ones where I nag Vance a little less and he listens to me a little more.  I want to find a formula that will create this everyday (and make me the most
wealthy businesswoman alive). Maybe it takes me, as the adult in the relationship, taking the high road and having a more positive tone of voice?  Or just trying to pick my battles wisely?  Like
everything else concerning child rearing, it will just have to take experimentation and patience.  By the time I figure it out, he will be out of this phase and onto a new one.  At least I will have something up my sleeve for when Caroline is in this phase of life.  For now I will bask in the glow of a day that actually went my way!

Spinach smoothie (aka dinosaur smoothie) recipe
*best outcome using Vitamix
1/2 cup green grapes
1 orange
1 apple
2-3 cups spinach
1/3 cup water
1 1/2 to 2 cups ice
Blend all ingredients on smoothie setting until smooth.  If you have a banana lover sub for grapes!
Drink up and enjoy a burst of energy!



No comments:

Post a Comment