We chose early flights because it saved us money and also I figured that the kids would be fresh and in happier moods. Have I mentioned that until recently I was terrified of flying? So I was also trying to conquer that fear while wrestling the kids. I felt like we prepared pretty well (I was a Girl Scout after all). I bought Vance a monstrous sticker book and a new pad of paper and crayons. I stocked up on a few healthy snacks and some organic lollipops. I made sure to bring my boobs along for Caroline. I bought a tranquilizer gun...just kidding. We were set!
We got to the airport on Saturday morning at 6:30 and Vance immediately had a horrible meltdown. First he wouldn't go through security. When we finally convinced him that the evil TSA monsters were not going to harm him, Caroline decided to wail for some breakfast. Vance seemed to be overstimulated and shut down...he would not cooperate with anything. When we walked up to the gate where we would be catching our flight we had a screaming, crabby toddler, and a crying baby. People were so happy to see us!
I managed to nurse Caroline and then made Vance extremely happy by letting him play on the moving sidewalks in the airport. By the time we were ready to board the kids were fine. JW and I managed to not throw parental temper tantrums as well when the flight was delayed a bit. The plane ride was great and both kids were angelic. I had one of those proud moments as a parent when your ego inflates a little and you think you know it all about raising kids. Unfortunately that ended as soon as it began (as is always the case).
Our vacation was nice because the weather cooperated and I got to be outside a lot with the kids. We also got to eat out which meant I didn't have to cook (but it also meant that I gained a few pounds). And having a maid clean your room everyday is a huge plus. I got to jog on the beach (by myself!) a few mornings and we walked a ton. Vance loved collecting shells in the morning and playing on the white, sandy beaches. Even Grandma made an appearance!
It was a "vacation" though. Not a relaxing, feet in the sand, read a book on the beach VACATION. We were all in one hotel room and kids get crabby no matter what latitude they are occupying or what the temperature is outside. Vance managed to take a spill and scrape up his face so we got our badge for parents of the year. Our lives were unfolding as they do everyday at home, just in a different location. But I am not going to be ungrateful, it was really great to get away! I wish I could keep the vacation state of mind running after we have been home for a while.
The return flight was rocky as far as the kids go but we still got compliments on their behavior. Highlights included Vance pooping and not letting us change him so that the whole plane smelled and the old woman behind me being creepy and trying to watch Caroline nurse (do you mind?). The great thing about flying to and from Florida is that you get to be surrounded by a bunch of nice grandparents who are either coming or going from their visits with grandchildren, whom they miss dearly. Their affections were then transferred to my children which was cute.
And I do have to toot my own horn and say that I managed my fears of flying really well! It was all in the breath. Well, that and being so darn distracted that I didn't even think about it most of the time! I hope our story of a (mostly) successful trip will inspire more parents to take their kids and get away! We all need a vacation from the insanity of everyday life. It is a nice chance to be with your family and remember what is truly important. One thing I am trying to keep from vacation (besides my tan) is the happy feeling I get when I truly look at my children. Their pure, loving innocence is enough to remind me why I wake up everyday.

No comments:
Post a Comment