Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Ode to Spring

That globe of golden light
Brings warmth to my soul
Yes, winter is over.

Haiku?  Yes.  The close arrival of spring has me reflecting upon the end of winter.  This past winter was huge for our family with the birth of Caroline.  It was full of change and in a lot of ways we are still adjusting.  I think things will finally be settling down in about 18 years.

What I love about spring is the hope that it brings.  Every time I check the weather forecast, I am hopeful that the temperature has gone up one more degree (or two or three!).  I walk outside and breathe in a damp, cold air and smell the mud and wet earth.  I laugh as I see things uncovered in the melting snow, a glove here, the remnants of a snow man's scarf and nose there. 

We watch the trees and plants expectantly, hoping their buds will soon peek through and bring us the beauty of color.  My favorite spring bloom is the dogwood with its sweet, earthy, fragrant flowers. I remember walking by these trees when I was pregnant with Vance, hoping that the beautiful smell could go through my skin to my baby so that he too could enjoy it. We shed layers as well, and the cold shell we slept in all winter is broken, our hearts open once again to the warmth of the sun.

I know we have a few more weeks before it is officially the end of winter, but I can feel the changes and the optimism floating through the air.  Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment