I have given my husband yet another reason to think I have lost my mind. I have abandoned shampoo and conditioner. Isn't this the worst thing a girl can do? As it turns out, NO! It is called the No 'Poo Movement and it has been highlighted on a few of the blogs I read. Maybe it is being so bored with winter (please come soon spring!) and needing something new to do, but I have officially gone off the deep end and started using a mixture of baking soda and warm water (1 Tbsp to 1 cup) followed by apple cider vinegar and warm water (1 Tbsp to 1 cup) to wash and condition my hair in the shower. The crazy part is that my hair has never felt better!
I have been using organic Kiss My Face shampoo and conditioner from Whole Foods for a while, so I didn't think I needed to worry about additives. As it turns out, although there are no dangerous chemicals in this shampoo, unlike other shampoos (Pantene, Herbal Essence, etc), it still contains compounds that can weigh hair down and strip it of its natural oils. Enter something as simple as baking soda to clean the scalp and vinegar to balance pH and seal cuticles and voila! Homemade hair care. As a side note, vinegar is also a natural detangler!
For now, I am very happy (and so is my wallet). And don't worry, you don't smell like vinegar afterwards. Your hair will also remain less oily in between washes which is always a plus. It does take a few weeks to break your hair in and get all of the build up out from years of using heavy shampoos and conditioners. Hopefully by then, my husband will forget about me losing my marbles and enjoy my new 'do.
Thanks Rose! I'm gonna try this!
ReplyDeleteWe've been doing this for a couple years now! I rarely use vinegar (laziness!) but love the baking soda. :)
ReplyDelete